In an effort to keep all of our teams and most important, our parents, informed of game time/locations, we have elected to useTEAM APP. For those interested, visit TEAM APP online and search for Ashland Baseball - Softball. You may submit a request online to have access to our schedules, etc.
This application can be downloaded onto your smart phone. As we post news and events, you will be alerted via your smartphone. We have a chat room and even a place to post scores LIVE from the seats as you cheer on your children. You may also visit aybs.teamapp.com to learn more. Enjoy!
2014 AYBS Board of Directors
Ashland Youth Baseball & Softball (AYBS) held its annual meeting on Monday, October 14th, to review the accomplishments of the 2013season and to elect the board members for the 2014 season. Before discussing the past season and reviewing our plans for next year, we wanted to take a moment to thank all of our volunteers for their service in 2014. There is no question that without all of you who offered your time this past season – from Board membership to spending a game within the confines of a snack shack – AYBS could not offer the playing opportunities it continues to offer the girls and boys in Ashland. As noted below, those playing opportunities extended this year from spring through the fall, and we hope to continue to expand those opportunities in 2014.
AYBS Mission Statement
Ashland Youth Baseball & Softball (AYBS) is a non-profit, volunteer-run organization dedicated to providing the youth of Ashland with opportunities to play tee-ball, baseball and softball in a safe, supportive environment. AYBS aspires to be an outstanding educational-athletic organization that provides a high-quality experience, in which every athlete:
• Is coached using the principles of the Little League Double-Goal Coach, where winning is an objective but more importantly life skills are taught
• Has fun playing the game
• Feels like an important part of the team regardless of performance
• Learns "life lessons" that have value beyond the playing field
• Learns the skills, tactics and strategies of the game and improves as a player.
We recognize coaches most directly make this possible, so we provide all coaches with the tools to succeed as Little League Double-Goal Coaches. We are committed to creating a culture in which coaches, parents, fans, umpires and athletes work together to achieve our mission.
While all of our volunteers deserve recognition, we believe it is important to single out one particular group – the coaches – because we view that group as critical to the program’s success, and we recognize the commitment coaching a baseball or softball team requires of those dedicated individuals. The board believes it is worth briefly recounting the work our coaches do each season because much of it occurs behind the scenes, and we want to be sure all of our members understand the work that goes in to coaching a baseball or softball team. As you can imagine, the commitment to coaching a team involves much more than running practices and managing the team during the course of a game. It also involves coming down to the fields early in the spring to help get them ready, attending training sessions, coordinating schedules, communicating with parents, planning meaningful practi ces, spending late night hours working on line ups, arranging for rides, preparing the field before a game, and countless other day-to-day tasks that may often go unnoticed. We want our coaches to know that all of that work does not go unnoticed, and that the AYBS Board recognizes the following: WE COULD NOT DO IT WITHOUT YOU, AND FOR THAT, WE THANK YOU.
In addition to our coaches, AYBS would also like to thank three board members retiring from the board in 2012. Brian Whiteley was President of AYBS for 4 years and directed the organization with a teaming and structural attitude to build and grow a successful organization and insure that we protect our members by doing the right thing. Gerry Leon re-built our Softball Program from the ground up organizing multiple groups as well as being involved in outside organizations which effected AYBS and commanded the respect of many to drive our softball program to the success we enjoy today. Wayne Bates was the key in running, organizing and guiding our Summer Baseball Program. You could find Wayne on the field nightly insuring that the games, people and flow continued uninterrupted to achieve a very successful program. Thank You to our retiring board members for their dedication and effort. AYBS and it s members (especially the kids!!) have benefited greatly from your volunteerism.
2014 AYBS Board Members
President – John Hornung
VP Player Agent – John Reap
Secretary – Jennifer Simpson
Treasurer – Shawn Boardman
Director at Large – Andrew Maxwell
VP Baseball – Gregg Tumeinski
VP Softball – Ken Watt
VP Tee-Ball – Waymond Eng
VP Sr. Baseball – Adam Blecher
Registrar – Yogesh Sharma
2014 AYBS Initiatives
1. Improving baseball and softball skills. Baseball and Softball are skill sports that requires training and repetition. The Board in 2014 is dedicated to improving skills at all levels through increased training opportunities, increased practicing opportunities, and additional training for coaches.
2. Improving communication with our membership. While we believe we have made strides in communicating with our membership, the Board intends to improve significantly on that this year on a number of fronts, from the opening of registration to the selection of tournament teams. We want feedback, comments, suggestions and help driving change and improvement to our wonderful organization.
3. Increased member participation. As noted above, we cannot run a successful program without dedicated volunteers. We have many members who volunteer countless hours, but we need more and are therefore asking you, our members, to help us meet this goal by coming forward to volunteer your time in whatever capacity fits your skills, from fundraising to coaching to safety to field maintenance. Please let us know of your talents and interests and we will put them to work. We are also identifying smaller tasks within our board members responsibility that might excite future volunteers to step forward.
We are looking forward to seeing you on the fields in 2014!
AYBS Board of Directors
AYBS in the News
Capital Improvement Projects
The AYBS board has approved expenditures for several major capital projects including
FUNDRAISING NEEDED FOR...